Thursday, March 22, 2012

A Poem for your Patience

Okay, our internets have been broken, and Time Warner has taken 1.5 weeks to fix them. So far. I'm not holding out any hope that they're actually fixed. Thus far, two different brigades of cable techs (technical term) have replaced a total of 3 junctions, replacing a splitter with a barrel (one-to-one) fitting, a splitter with a "better" splitter, and a barrel with a new barrel.

We'll see.

But I know I've promised original content, so I'll send you this one from work (it's really quite slow today). Since late January, I've decided to write a sonnet every day (with varying degrees of luck and/or persistence). The goal is twofold:

1) Follow through on something long term; and 

2) Learn to think in the sonnet form (iambic pentameter).

Like the late, great Billy S, I don't title my sonnets. Sometimes, please allow me a little bit of writerly pretension. I paid for it, after all.

Here you go:

22 March 2012, Thursday
The pop and fizz of new ideas was
An understanding past the brink of one
Belief in childish wants of past-ing fuzz
And broken bleached duress offending scum.
To take and use the broken views of some
And stake a view on someone’s use of form
Will breach and blow the violence sowed by gun
Or sleeping slow and leaving low deforms.
The time is passing hot and heavy still
As sleeping eyelids flitting up reveal
The action of the dreaming mind’s berill
And from yourself your luscious lines you steal.
    The blood of all the things that I’ve done wrong
    Will fill the riverbanks of coming dawn.

This nonsense poem is basically me leading up to plagiarizing myself from an earlier poem that was a type of sonnet that I did during my MFA studies.

Please comment in iambic pentameter or haiku.

No comments:

Post a Comment