Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Cerebreality

All my work and hobbies alike are cerebral. I sit at a computer, resolve issues remotely, stare off into space, and basically think my way through the working day.

My passions run in that vein, as well; I enjoy writing and collaborating (as in this blog), as well as composing sonnets. Two other projects, at the moment, consist of a short comic book, book reviews, which I haven't gotten to in a while, and intend to bring to this blog, and rewriting my Masters thesis into a script, which will be the basis for a graphic novel and then (in my dreams) an animated movie.

So that's why I build stuff. I'm not saying that building things doesn't engage the mind. Anyone watching me stare at a pallet or a pile of wood or tools knows that the machinery is grinding away. What I am saying is that it's engaging an entirely different part of my mind.

As Lifehacker is keen to point out, willpower is limited, and writing is all about willpower. Some say that facing a blank page is overwhelming, but I get that feeling just thinking about it. I do know how to write. Lord knows I've got the education (and huge fucking debt) to back that up, but it's nose-to-the-grindstone willpower that creates productivity, and it's productivity, above all else, that separates a successful author from a dude/chick who writes stuff.

That also explains why I built a table two weeks ago and have yet to write a post on it. It's coming. Hopefully this weekend. I've already got the pictures labeled.

So I get out there and create with my hands because working in an office all day drains the willpower from my mind, even though I do like and enjoy my job. In the end, I'm not sure if it saves money on the furniture itself, but it sure as hell beats sitting in front of the TV, watching other people live life while I do nothing, and it keeps me from spending ungodly amounts of money on grand and strange travel or dining out, which I can't afford (calorically or monetarily).

In short, I'm advocating getting off your ass. That's some great advice, and I'll stand by it. Be a maker, be a coach. Or not.

I mean, what are your hobbies? Is this too modest a forum in which to discuss?

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment